You are here : Version anglaise > Visa and residence permit > Your residence permit depending on your situation > - Scientists' families

Residence permits for families

Provisions have been put in place to make it easier for the family of a scientist to move to France during their long-stay research trip (over 90 days). Depending on the nationality of their family members, procedures may vary. Here we have outlined the procedures for each situation.


Children from a European country, the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

No formalities need to be completed for children who are nationals of a European country, the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

Children from a third country

Children who are nationals of a third non-exempt country will need a long-stay D visa to be able to enter France. They must apply for this visa at the nearest French consulate to their place of residence no later than 2 months before leaving for France. This application may be submitted at the same time as your own visa application, if you also require one due to your nationality.

Regardless of their nationality, minor children of scientists can stay freely in France without a residence permit.

However, if your child has to travel abroad, you must request a Travel document for a minor foreign national (DCEM).

The DCEM will enable your child to come back to France after a trip abroad without having to apply for another entry visa. This document, whose validity period varies depending on the parents’ length of stay, can be renewed until the child reaches 18 years of age, as long as their parents are legally in France. There is a fee of €50 to be paid in tax stamps (timbres fiscaux).

If one of the parents of the child is an EU/EEA/Swiss national, this document is free of charge.

You can now apply for the DCEM online on the dedicated website in the “je demande un document de voyage” (apply for a travel document) section.
Please go to the website of the Préfecture of your place of residence to find out which documents you need to provide and how to collect this document:
Prefecture du Rhône
Prefecture de La Loire

The child as well as one of their parents must be present to collect a DCEM.

IMPORTANT: the DCEM must be presented with a valid travel document (passport), when your child travels outside France.


If the scientist has a Talent passport (“Passeport talent”) visa/residence permit, their spouse can get a Talent passport - family (“passeport talent – famille”) authorizing them to stay and work in France.

If the scientist does not have a “Talent passport”, visa/residence permit, please contact us.

Spouse from a European country

If your spouse is a national of Switzerland, a European Union country or a member state of the EEA, they can live and work in France without having to complete any administrative formalities.

Spouses from a third country

The spouse's visa application

If your spouse is a national of a third country, which is not exempt, a visa application must be submitted to the French consulate that is closest to your place of residence no later than 2 months before you leave for France. This application may be submitted at the same time as your own visa application, if you also require one due to your nationality.

More information about the visa application

Spouse's residence permit

Within two months of arriving in France, the scientist’s spouse must follow the same procedure as their spouse. Depending on the status of their visa, the spouse must get:
  • either a visa validation
  • or a residence permit

All of these formalities can now be completed online on the dedicated website.

Renewing the spouse’s residence permit


Your spouse’s residence permit can be renewed online. A renewal application must be submitted three months before the expiry of their current residence permit.

The residence permit renewal application must be submitted no later than two months before your visa/residence permit expires. Préfectures do not accept the late submission of documents under any circumstances, applications received after the expiry date (residence permit, receipt, temporary stay authorization) are subject to a fine.

All these formalities can now be completed online on the dedicated website.

More information about the procedure to follow.

Spouse of a European scientist, from a third country

If you are a national of a European Union country, the EEA or Switzerland, you can be accompanied or joined in France by your close family members (spouse, children, parents, grand parents), regardless of their nationality.

Adult members of your family (or over 16 years of age if they want to work) must hold a residence permit.
They must submit their application within 3 months of their arrival in France on the dedicated platform.

This residence permit is free and has the status “family member of an EU/EEA/Swiss national”. (“membre de la famille d’un citoyen de l’Union/EEE/Suisse”).

Depending on the nationality of the spouse and children a short-stay visa application (under 90 days) to enter France may be required.
For more information:

For more information depending on your situation, please contact us: You need to register in advance with our Euraxess France database.