You are here : Version anglaise > Healthcare > Register for healthcare > PhD students with "Etudiant" visas and their spouses

PhD students with "Etudiant" visas and their spouses

You have arrived in France and enrolled for PhD studies in France

Register on the dedicated website for foreign students and upload the documents required by the French social security scheme.
Further information

Please see below for information regarding translation and authentication of your birth certificate:


Only birth certificates in Albanian, German, English, Danish, Croatian, Spanish, Finnish, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Swedish, Czech and Turkish are accepted. Birth certificates in all other languages must be translated into French by a sworn translator approved by a French Court of Appeal (cour d’appel).

Authentication: “apostille” or legalization?

The social security scheme requires birth certificates from certain countries to be certified with an “apostille” stamp or authenticated. In both cases, this certifies that the document is official.

Your spouse and children

Your spouse and adult children

Your spouse and adult children may benefit from universal health cover: Protection Universelle Maladie (PUMA) from the French social security scheme after three months of residency in France and if they can provide supporting documents certifying they have no health cover in their last country of residence. They have to request registration with the local Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie (CPAM).

Download the PUMA membership procedure

Your minor children: right holders

Minor children (under the age of 18) benefit from your PUMA entitlements. You must request their registration.