You are here : Version anglaise > Administrative formalities > Home and civil liability insurance

Home and civil liability insurance

Home insurance

Before signing your rental agreement, the owner or real estate agency will require you to present a home insurance certificate stating your cover against risks as a tenant (water damage, fire, etc.).

These policies insure the accommodation and its usual occupants. This means that if you move out, you must contact your insurer to insure your new accommodation or to terminate the policy.

This insurance is mandatory.

It often includes civil liability insurance, which is another mandatory insurance policy.

More information about home insurance.

Public liability insurance

In France, whenever anyone unintentionally causes damage to another person or another person’s property, he/she is required to compensate that person for the damage caused. Public liability insurance covers payments of such compensation.

Public liability insurance is mandatory. Every French insurance company offers this kind of contract. Public liability insurance may or may not be included in your home insurance policy. Don't hesitate to ask your insurance company about this subject.

For more information on liability insurance.